- Bitcoin has seen an influx of corporate support over the past few months after MicroStrategy announced its investment in the coin in August.
- The firm has been a flagbearer in this part of the digital asset market.
- Per data from BitcoinTreasuries, the firm now holds approximately $3.5 billion worth of the digital asset.
- MicroStrategy is expected to add to its Bitcoin position with some capital it is receiving from the sale of corporate bonds.
- MicroStrategy is by far one of the biggest corporate buyers of Bitcoin, though other public corporations and investment firms own BTC.
- Other holders of Bitcoin on the public markets include Square, the fintech company, and Marathon Patent Group.
- These other holders hold dozens of millions or even hundreds of millions worth of the leading digital asset.
How Much Bitcoin Does MicroStrategy Own Now?
MicroStrategy burst onto the Bitcoin scene in August of 2020 when it revealed that it had used a large portion of its balance sheet to purchase the leading digital asset.
In the original announcement unveiling this move, the firm announced that it sees Bitcoin as a viable store of value. This was the first time that a publicly-traded corporation had accumulated BTC for investment purposes:
“This investment reflects our belief that Bitcoin, as the world’s most widely-adopted cryptocurrency, is a dependable store of value and an attractive investment asset with more long-term appreciation potential than holding cash. Since its inception over a decade ago, Bitcoin has emerged as a significant addition to the global financial system, with characteristics that are useful to both individuals and institution.”
While this was already a surprising move, the firm continued to double down on the digital asset in the months that followed and into this new year.
Tallying up all public announcements, the firm holds 71,079 bitcoin, currently valued at around $3.5 billion.
One of Many Corporate Buyers
MicroStrategy is by far one of the biggest corporate buyers of Bitcoin, though there are other institutional and corporate players that have a large vested interest in the digital asset.
Below is a screenshot from BitcoinTreasuries, which tracks the amount of BTC held by publicly-owned or publicly-known asset management firms or corporations looking to add diversity to their balance sheets.
Aside from MicroStrategy, here is a brief list of other firms that own digital assets:
- Galaxy Digital Holdings, a crypto-focused investment bank and digital asset services firm looking to service and act as an on-ramp for institutional players
- Marathon Patent Group, a digital asset mining firm based in North America. The firm purchased Bitcoin in January with some of its cash position, reiterating that it says BTC as a better store of value over time than the U.S. dollar.
- Square, a financial technology firm that is run by Jack Dorsey, who also leads Twitter. Square has
Image from BitcoinTreasuries, a site created by Bitcoin investor "NVK" that tracks the amount of BTC held by publicly-known companies or publicly-owned companies.
Featured Image from Shutterstock Price tags: xbtusd, btcusd, btcusdt Charts from TradingView.com How Much Bitcoin Does MicroStrategy Own Now?